Contribution to culture as a dimension of sustainable development
The Awards Ceremony of the first edition of the « International Award UCLG – MEXICO City – Culture21 » will take place on 12th November 2014. The events are hosted by Mexico City (Mexico). The aim of this International Award is to recognize leading cities and people that have distinguished themselves through their contribution to culture as a dimension of sustainable development. The initiative proves the leadership of Mexico City in the area of culture and sustainable development and the commitment of UCLG in the recognition of culture as a fundamental dimension in building sustainable cities.
The first edition of the « International Award UCLG – MEXICO City – Culture21 » was set in 2013 and 2014 under the leadership of the Mayor of Mexico City, Dr. Miguel Ángel Mancera Espinosa, and the President of UCLG and Mayor of Istanbul, Dr. Kadir Topbaş.
The Award features two categories: “City” and “Personality”.
CITY / LOCAL OR REGIONAL GOVERNMENT AWARD:
– This category is awarded to a city, local or regional government whose cultural policy has contributed significantly to linking the values of culture (heritage, diversity, creativity and transmission of knowledge) with democratic governance, citizen participation and sustainable development. The Award is given to the local or regional government candidate that wins a competitive call process, open to UCLG (direct or indirect) members
– This Award recognizes an original policy, programme or project that explicitly includes the principles of Agenda 21 for culture. The action awarded should feature at least two years of execution and document proof of the impact and the successes achieved.
– The winning city receives the amount of 50,000 euros, which is used for the international promotion of the project (the publication of a book, participation in forums, international visibility) and to strengthen the local implementation of the Agenda 21 for culture.
– This category awards an internationally renowned person who has made a fundamental contribution to the relationship between culture and development.
– This Award is designated by the Jury, without an open competition process. The organisers invite all the members of UCLG (direct or indirect) to make spontaneous nominations of a personality.
– The selected candidate receives the amount of 25,000 euros.
Please consult the rules.